Wednesday 30 June 2010

Black spot, red spot.

We didn't always live here, love,
when I was little we had another house.
In the garden there was a bush,
a lavender bush.
Every summer the bees came and
buzzed around the flowers,
and windows.

One year, I remember, the plants
turned red and black.
We thought they were dying, but
really, they were coated
in ladybugs. The little red dots swarmed 
all over the garden,
and I loved them for it.

I asked my mum if I could keep them,
and she said no. But you know me,
I don't listen to no. I stole a 
salad bowl and I filled it with bugs.
I hid them under the lavender bush, but
it rained that night.

The next morning I checked on my
bug-pot.
The lid wasn't enough to keep the rain out,
and my ladybirds had all drowned.
I never told my mum, 
because I knew she had been right.
I didn't care about the bugs who died,
I was young. I cared because 
I didn't have them anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment